CanSkate is Skate Canada's flagship learn-to-skate program, designed for beginners of all ages. When you sign up for CanSkate you will be in a program that focuses on fun, participation and basic skill development. You will earn badges and other incentives as you learn fundamental skating skills. Lessons are given in a group format and led by an NCCP certified professional coach. Professional coaches are assisted by trained Program Assistants. The coach to student ratio is a maximum of 1:10. Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, music and a wide variety of activities that create a fun environment and promote learning. CanSkate is the feeder program to all other Skate Canada Skating Programs.
Benefits of CanSkate?
CanSkate is Canada's only national learn-to-skate program. It was developed by experts to teach the fundamentals of skating in a progressive and sequential manner.
When you/your child registers for a CanSkate program at your local Skate Canada club, you also become a member of Skate Canada, the national sport governing body for figure skating in Canada. Membership benefits in the CanSkate program can include:
- stickers, stamps and tattoos
- colouring sheets
- parent information sheets
- progress updates and report cards
- special CanSkate events and club functions
- BMO CanSkater of the Year award program
- opportunity to be talent-scouted
- opportunity to participate in a positive healthy lifestyle activity
The NEW CanSkate program curriculum is organized into three Fundamental Areas, divided into six stages of learning. The Fundamental Areas are:
- Balance:Concentrating on most forward skills, pushing technique and edges.
- Control:Concentrating on most backwards skills, stopping and speed elements.
- Agility:Concentrating on most turning and jumping skills.
To receive a stage badge, skaters must achieve all Fundamental Area ribbons (Balance, Control and Agility) from the corresponding stage. The skill requirements for each Fundamental Area are indicated on the report card. The skills are arranged in progressions, from very simple to the more complex. Thorncliffe Greenview offers a unique program called JumpStart for skaters who have completed stage 4 and wish to continue in pursuing Figure Skating. This program offers stage 5, and 6 as transitional stages that serve as a bridge from CanSkate to the STARSkate Program.